Pearly Gates question?

June 3, 2012

I saw ZZTop at Fort Bragg.
Is that the real Pearly Gates he is playing or a replica?

He said it was his first guitar.

Cause I know Eric Clapton does not play Blackie anymore
and it is a replica he's playing.

I own a Epiphone Les Paul Pro FX.
A Les Paul with a locking nut and floating bridge.
(In my Billy Gibbons Voice) "How strange".

Replies to This Posting

1. Re: Pearly Gates question?

June 3, 2012

Hi Shot-

It's probably a Gibson Pearly Gates replica with "Gibbons Lucky Mojo" on the headstock instead of Gibson Les Paul. Watch the Rig Rundown with Elwood at about 1:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6DrxfrbbF8

He also used the Gibbons Luck Mojo axe at Manchester, NH.

Sr. Volto

2. RE: Pearly Gates question?

June 4, 2012

From what I've read in various places, Billy is using chambered guitars these days. He's 62, I think, and at around ten pounds they wear on you over the years. I've got a bit of scoliosis going on after 30 years of playing and still play the heavy ones, but have a sigh of relief when I strap on the one chambered I own that is set up Peter Green style. That and a few Oxy's makes playing a couple hours a lot easier...Im sure the real Pearly is somewhere safe. Can you imagine the boys having a meet-n-greet and some thieving SOB making off with Rock n Roll history? No way I would chance it.....

3. Re: Pearly Gates question?

August 25, 2012

His first guitar was a Gibson Melody Maker that he received for Christmas in '63. Supposedly he has brought "it" out with him on tour, but I doubt very seriously if it's the original.

4. RE: Pearly Gates question?

October 16, 2012

Gibson re-issued pearly. He's got a few of them he takes on the road. The original pearly is
    home safe and sound. HAVE MERCY!!!

5. Re: Pearly Gates question?

October 17, 2012

dean79z wrote:
    His first guitar was a Gibson Melody Maker that he received for Christmas in '63. Supposedly he has brought "it" out with him on tour, but I doubt very seriously if it's the original.

Hey Dean, as Billy puts it, it's a "re-creation" of the original. He taks about in this video, about 5 minutes in.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQTIBtolr9Y&feature=g-u-u

Cheers from OZ, Craigo.
    Craigo