ZZ TOP ORIGINAL MIXES!

July 1, 2012

This is what these albums are supposed to sound like in their classic form! Except for tres hombre, fandango and deguello, the first album, rio grande and tejas have never seen the light of day on CD in original form. Enjoy these clips before someone brings down the site.

http://deege.free.fr/zztop/

Replies to This Posting

1. Re: ZZ TOP ORIGINAL MIXES!

August 21, 2012

Thanks a lot man!

ZZ Top should REALLY re-release their first album, Rio Grande Mud and Tejas in the original mixes.
    Come on ZZ, you know we'll buy them! :D

2. Re: ZZ TOP ORIGINAL MIXES!

August 21, 2012

Thank you for the link !

3. RE: ZZ TOP ORIGINAL MIXES!

September 9, 2012

I could not agree more! Please, please release these albums in original form. Man, love, LOVE La Futura! Please release another album next year or year after.

4. Re: ZZ TOP ORIGINAL MIXES!

September 10, 2012

love it.

5. Re: ZZ TOP ORIGINAL MIXES!

September 10, 2012

Awesome! Thanks for link!

6. Re: ZZ TOP ORIGINAL MIXES!

September 13, 2012

Does no one in ZZ Tops management care about the music and the fans?? In these days of putting out mega big box sets etc.....check out Kiss's latest $4000+ offering for the best example of the worst sort of marketing.............would it be too much to expect the band to put out a definitive version of each album without the atrocious remixing that was done for the Six Pack??

Smoke, Chrome and BBQ was superb. The Fandango, Tres Hombres and Eliminator recent reissues were superb. C'mon, where are the others?????

If I was one of the band I would be appalled at the way the music they have made has been marketed and the way there almost seems to be a sense of contempt for the fans. The fact that someone has to go and put the vinyl versions on the web(which sound great) for others to hear sums it all up. There should be no need for this to have to happen.

7. Re: ZZ TOP ORIGINAL MIXES!

September 22, 2012

Thank you fellow ZZ Top fans for the positive responses. I've even contact a fellow at Rhino/Warners about to possibility of whether of not the first, second, and fifth ZZ Top albums will ever see the light of day. He made the statement that he had received feedback about this subject over the years, and I also explained that when I go on Amazon.com and read the reviews about these albums that had never been reissued in their original forms, there are a LOT of customer reviews by ZZ Top fans who are really disgruntled that these albums have never seen the light of day on CD.

P.S. Although Deguello and El Loco ARE in their original forms on CD, they have not been remastered since 1987. It is STUNNING what can be done with today's 24-bit mastering technology and these albums would benefit greatly from that treatment.

8. Re: ZZ TOP ORIGINAL MIXES!

September 23, 2012

I completely agree with your last sentence, Rick. The brass on Deguello would really shine with a remastering, as long as it is not mastered for max volume.

9. Re: ZZ TOP ORIGINAL MIXES!

September 23, 2012

You are correct! As long as the dynamic range of the original two-track mixdown master tapes are respected! We do not want to see the overly compressed mastering jobs such as what was applied to something like, say, the Mothership title that was done on that particular Led Zeppelin compilation. Rhino/Warners did a great job on Tres Hombre as well as Fandango, so I am sure if they were to re-do
    these undone titles, they would do a great job! With all of the original charm of these original mixes, it would be a wonderful thing to see these albums in their original form, with all of their rough charm, simplicity, rootsy-ness, and just good 'ol space in the music that these original mixes conveyed. As is with much of what is being commercially generated on the over produced titles on the market these days, it is really soul-confirming stuff to be able to just hear the original vision of three dudes jamming on some rootsy blues/rock stuff. I own the six pack, and the best way that I can describe the listening experience is that it is somewhat similar to listening to the Door's newer remixes - to put it simply, I do not have the same emotional connection with the material that I would've have if it were in it's most basic, purest form.

10. RE: ZZ TOP ORIGINAL MIXES!

September 23, 2012

Thank you so very much for posting this!!!

11. Re: ZZ TOP ORIGINAL MIXES!

September 25, 2012

I vote DO NOT remaster El loco and Deguello. That's what got us in this overdrawn predicament to begin with regarding the other albums!

12. Re: ZZ TOP ORIGINAL MIXES!

September 25, 2012

Muddy Wolf wrote:
    I vote DO NOT remaster El loco and Deguello. That's what got us in this overdrawn predicament to begin with regarding the other albums!

How?

13. Re: ZZ TOP ORIGINAL MIXES!

September 29, 2012

Smitty wrote:
    Muddy Wolf wrote:

How?

Actually, isn't it How How How How? lol

14. Re: ZZ TOP ORIGINAL MIXES!

September 29, 2012

Mersayyy!!

15. RE: ZZ TOP ORIGINAL MIXES!

October 1, 2012

Deguello and El Loco do not need remastering. The CD's are the original mixes and the mastering is fine. If the first five albums were released with the original mixes at the same time as them there wouldn't be any need for this topic.

16. Re: ZZ TOP ORIGINAL MIXES!

October 2, 2012

I would love special editions of Rio Grand Mud and Tejas, as Tres Hombres Fandango were done.

17. Re: ZZ TOP ORIGINAL MIXES!

May 11, 2013

Is there any information on the remastering process used for the new boxed set? Original master tapes? re-eq'ing? No modern compression? And at what resolution? Transferred from analog could be 24/192? How about SACD? PLEASE license them to be done right!!!