VIP UPGRADES

January 2, 2013

Please post about your VIP experiences!

Replies to This Posting

1. Corpus Christi Platinum VIP 10/21/2011

October 23, 2011

I attended the show in Corpus Christi, at the American Bank Center on 10/21. I bought a Platinum VIP ticket that advertised a photo op and meet and greet. It was my first time being on the front row at a concert and the performance by Lynyrd Skynyrd and ZZ Top was flawless. The crowd went wild when Billy reached down at one point and signed their first album as an audience member held it up during the show. I was literally standing there whistling and cheering in awe after hearing many of my favorites live. Just before the show, I had told the hostess that I was carrying a custom handmade mesquite Stratocaster with a Texas theme and wanted to have the band sign it. I asked if she would be taking any items back stage to get them signed or should I get towards the back of the line in the meet and greet. She said there was no guarantee, but falling to the back of the line would be the best bet. After the show, we were told to meet over by the far right side of the building near the dressing room area for the meet and greet with ZZ Top. I fell to the back of the line with my guitar to insure that I wouldn't impact anyone else in line. A guard lined up behind me and the guide directed us down a few hallways until we came to a stop. The hostess announced loud and clear that we would not be able to shake hands with the band. She said that the music industry is getting away from handshakes. Fist bumps or a light tap on the shoulder would be fine but under no circumstances should we touch the band members anywhere else. She said someone shook a guitar players hand recently so hard that he couldn't perform the next day. She also mentioned germs and bacteria worries. We were instructed that she would take the picture of us with the band and that we needed to move forward and exit the hallway trough a door immediately after the picture was taken in order for the next person to move in for the next photograph. She also announced that autographs would be forbidden. The band signed a copy of the "A Tribute from Friends" compact disk for all of the VIP members before the show and were tired of signing things that they were done with it. People in line were saying, "Oh my god, are you serious? Unbelievable."
    The line moved forward very quickly and there were about eighteen to twenty people total that moved through the picture taking process. When I was the next person in line to move forward and get my picture with the band, their tour manager stated loudly " He's got a guitar! What the F%^^ is he doing with a guitar? The guide then began motioning for me to put the guitar away. She was mouthing the words silently "put it away, put it away..." I strapped the guitar on and told them, surely I can pose for the picture holding my own guitar." While moving into position for the photograph, I said hello Dusty and Frank while walking past them. I looked at Billy Gibbons and said, Billy, I have a guitar here that I made myself from Kingsville, Texas mesquite. Before I could finish the sentence, Billy said "Yeah, yeah" and was pointing to the camera motioning for me to get ready for the picture. After the picture was taken, the boys immediately shuffled through a separate door and the photographer said that's it we are done, you can use that door to exit. I didn't get to finish my first sentence. I didn't get to meet them or greet them in any way and certainly didn't even have a chance tell them my name. They didn't even look at the guitar. It was awful. I'm a member of the fan club who purchased a Platinum VIP ticket with a meet and greet as well as a photo op with the band. The only thing that I wanted was a chance to ask one of my all time Texas hero's to sign a one of a kind Texas mesquite Stratocaster. If they would have talked to me and if they would have signed the guitar, it would have taken an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute of their time that night. That night I left the concert hall feeling as if I were kicked in the gut and thrown out the back door. I'm still very bumbed by the events that unfolded at the very end that night.

2. Re: Corpus Christi Platinum VIP 10/21/2011

October 24, 2011

Hey TexasWyatt......What a rotten way to treat their Fans! You didn't deserve to be treated like that...ESPECIALLY after you paid BIG BUCKS for a photo opt with ZZ.
    Mesquite is beautiful wood and I would love to see a picture of your work, how creative! It must be a really beautiful Stratocaster Wyatt, do you write your own music also?.I bought the VIP GOLD and I am so pissed-off about the way we were treated at the concert at The Backyard in Austin and the OUTRAGEOUS price we were charged...... $461.10 for two tickets that turned-out to be........get this.........$55.00 GENERAL ADMISSION tickets........I mean printed on the tickets $55 General Admission! NO WONDER they didn't send the tickets out! Can you imagine the uproar that would have happened if we had gotten those tickets in the mail before the concert?.... I will NEVER do another ZZTop concert again in my life!

3. Re: Corpus Christi Platinum VIP 10/21/2011

October 25, 2011

at least you got your Tribute Albumn, I saw them in Denver on the 10th . No front row seats, No autographed CD's ....just bullshit promises from Cory , the hostess..........

4. Re: Corpus Christi Platinum VIP 10/21/2011

October 25, 2011

Hi TexasWyatt, my husband and I were treated the same way! We saw ZZ Top in Laredo, TX on 10/23/11 and were very disappointed when we left the show. My husband has been playing guitar for 20 years and Billy Gibbons has been one of his Guitar Gods since he started playing, so you can imagine his excitement to finally meet this Rock Legend. To be honest, the VIP treatment was pretty awesome! I'm not sure how they did it for you in Corpus, but we were able to go backstage and see Dusty's dressing room and see all his bass's, of course we couldn't see any of Billy's guitars for "security reasons" but we were ok with that. Of course the free food and beer was good too. We were also first row, rocked out for the whole concert, which I should say was AWESOME!!!!! So of course, we were told Meet-N-Greet would be after the show and we were thinking that we would be able to spend some time with the band and just ask how their tour was going and just let them know what an inspiration they've been to my husband and his guitar playing, I mean, how many times do you get to meet a band like ZZ Top! So as we were waiting to get backstage, we were told the same thing you were. No handshakes, no autographs, no touching the band. I think I can speak for the others that were with us when I say WE WERE PISSED!!! We paid a good amount of money for this VIP Platinum package and all we get is the photo! The package said a Meet-N-Greet with the band and I can't even say hello to them for 1 minute! I didn't even get to say anything to them because I was so upset that we weren't getting any more time. So my husband and I were the last ones to take the photo and we were rushed out of the venue within a minute. Talk about FALSE ADVERTISEMENT!!!!! I understand if I can't shake their hand or touch them but at least let me ask them questions or tell them how awesome they are (which they already know). Just like you, we felt like we were gutted and thrown out the door. I don't know if I would ever do this again. You know, we were in Corpus for the Thin Lizzy/BLS/Judas Priest show on 10/14/11 and we bought the Meet-N-Greet package for Black Label Society (since Zakk Wylde is also another Guitar God to my husband). I have to say that even though we were only with them for 30 minutes, I'd say those 30 minutes were better than this VIP Platinum package with front row seats. These guys actually sat down and talked to us for a little while before signing some of our stuff. You know, if I were a big Rock Star, I would take the time to tell my fans how much I appreciate their loyalty instead of telling them "ok stand here and say cheese, now get the hell out!!"

5. Laredo VIP Package

October 26, 2011

So, I had replied to TexasWyatt but for some reason the text cannot be viewed unless you copy it and paste it in a Word Document, so for those of you who were curious as to what the reply said, here goes:

Hi TexasWyatt, my husband and I were treated the same way! We saw ZZ Top in Laredo, TX on 10/23/11 and were very disappointed when we left the show. My husband has been playing guitar for 20 years and Billy Gibbons has been one of his Guitar Gods since he started playing, so you can imagine his excitement to finally meet this Rock Legend. To be honest, the VIP treatment was pretty awesome! I'm not sure how they did it for you in Corpus, but we were able to go backstage and see Dusty's dressing room and see all his bass's, of course we couldn't see any of Billy's guitars for "security reasons" but we were ok with that. Of course the free food and beer was good too. We were also first row, rocked out for the whole concert, which I should say was AWESOME!!!!! So of course, we were told Meet-N-Greet would be after the show and we were thinking that we would be able to spend some time with the band and just ask how their tour was going and just let them know what an inspiration they've been to my husband and his guitar playing, I mean, how many times do you get to meet a band like ZZ Top! So as we were waiting to get backstage, we were told the same thing you were. No handshakes, no autographs, no touching the band. I think I can speak for the others that were with us when I say WE WERE PISSED!!! We paid a good amount of money for this VIP Platinum package and all we get is the photo! The package said a Meet-N-Greet with the band and I can't even say hello to them for 1 minute! I didn't even get to say anything to them because I was so upset that we weren't getting any more time. So my husband and I were the last ones to take the photo and we were rushed out of the venue within a minute. Talk about FALSE ADVERTISEMENT!!!!! I understand if I can't shake their hand or touch them but at least let me ask them questions or tell them how awesome they are (which they already know). Just like you, we felt like we were gutted and thrown out the door. I don't know if I would ever do this again. You know, we were in Corpus for the Thin Lizzy/BLS/Judas Priest show on 10/14/11 and we bought the Meet-N-Greet package for Black Label Society (since Zakk Wylde is also another Guitar God to my husband). I have to say that even though we were only with them for 30 minutes, I'd say those 30 minutes were better than this VIP Platinum package with front row seats. These guys actually sat down and talked to us for a little while before signing some of our stuff. You know, if I were a big Rock Star, I would take the time to tell my fans how much I appreciate their loyalty instead of telling them “ok stand here and say cheese, now get the hell out!!”

6. Re: Laredo VIP Package

October 31, 2011

FALSE ADVERTISEMENT IS SO RIGHT !!!!! I got what i thought was a VIP ackage , turned out to be an upgrade. No first 2 row seating....i was so mad , i didnt watch the concert. Then the hostess , Cory said the CD's werent here I I STILL HAVENT GOT MINE YET , SHOW WAS DENVER ON 10/10 ) NOT TO MENTION THEY DIDNT HAVE A CAMERA , NOR DID SHE CARE ABOUT GETTING ONE ! Luckily , one of the other 8 had one , and SHE took the pictures. Same deal , do's and dont's ...then out from the curtain they came , i also was the last picture , i was still upset and she even said if i was going to be a security risk then i wouldnt be allowed to be there. I did get my picture thru email.....no autographs of any kind. no phone calls from GROUND CENTRAL trying to make up for the bad experience....ZZ TOP was awesome as ever, the energy from the band was there......too damn bad i couldnt enjoy it. As for the autographed CD......who knows if I will ever see it...... I call B*LL S**T.........

7. Re: Corpus Christi Platinum VIP 10/21/2011

December 24, 2011

I feel your pain brother! I made a guitar for the Rock Legends Cruise (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2145313486610&set=a.2144655790168.89046.1659453186&type=3&theater). The captain of the ship signed it but BFG wouldn't.

8. Re: Corpus Christi Platinum VIP 10/21/2011

January 28, 2012

I understand where all you guys are coming from, about getting your guitars signed and all. I can see where an artist might be hesitant to sign these items as it would appear the artist had endorsed the item. And that it may make the item more valuable for the seller with no money's going to the artist. It kind of puts them on the spot when you hand it to them to sign. No artist likes to slam the fan with, "I won't sign your item." I know the hand shaking situation as well. No artist wants to deny a fans hand shake, so they expect their management to inform the fan not to extend the hand but to wait for the artist to extend. As a Life Member of the ZZTIFC, I have been to many, many shows and backstage meet and greets. On the Recycler Tour, Mr. Gibbons actually offered his hand to me for a handshake. I work in concert production and have worked with many national acts and have always made the habit of not trying to engage the artist unless they attempt to engage me. Also, I can see the trend for ZZ to offer the meet and greets to the folks that are willing to pay for them and not to the ZZTIFC members that paid the $100 back in the Eliminator days for the 2 tickets and backstage passes per year promised for the life of the band. Not trying to slam you guys but just trying to give some insite.

9. RE: Corpus Christi Platinum VIP 10/21/2011

March 13, 2012

I agree mixalive.I have been trying to get through to them and ask why nothing special for us lifetime members.
    The good ole days when if the boys felt like it they would come to the room and go table to table,bullshit with all of us.
    one time in Albany got a picture with Billy,Dusty and the las vegas dancers,then after the show,show. was in a bar and here they all come again.

Now it's more like a job to them and whatever company is running them now wants the moola.
    so they run us through like cattle.Last couple of shows i have been to wasn't even an after show pass thrown in like promised.

And they shut down the fan club forum here at this site??

10. WHY nothing for LIFETIME MEMBERS

March 13, 2012

with the fan club forum shut down.
    wondering when and if the boys will be doing anything for us lifetime Fan club members.
    last 2 shows i've been to the after show passes were not even included with my tickets?
    And no one would even try to answer me as to why not ? ?

member since 85
    first show 73 when open for alice cooper

11. RE: Corpus Christi Platinum VIP 10/21/2011

March 20, 2012

Man that's just a great disappointment for me to hear something like that. I mean I would expect for some artists to be like that but not ZZ Top. Not the guys from Texas, oldschool, bearded beerdrinkers and hellraisers... I actually wanted to get VIP tickets for next ZZ show, but now I'll think about it. It doesn't matter how big, or old or whatever they are, to treat your biggest fans like that is just wrong. And no Billy we are not having a good time now. All three of them should be ashamed of themselves. You know when I saw them for the first time I think it was 2003, in Zagreb, Croatia, they played like a little over an hour, and I thought "well alright, they're on tour, and Frank has been ill or somn". Now it just seems or somn and a shitcan full of it... Recently I saw a DVD live from texas 2008, it was great I love them, and the poker game they're playin' and talkin' about the beginning, and the shows back then... but this is not right, this is making me not being able to respect them, therefore very hard for me to like them. I like, no, I love their music, but this is so disgraceful that I question everything about them right now... Sorry guyz but this thing just pisses me off. Hopefully, someone might read these posts one day and perhaps they'll make a difference... In good faith,

Mikey

http://www.facebook.com/mgveric

12. In fairness to the band on the VIP package.

March 29, 2012

In all fairness to the band about the 2011 VIP Packages, the description said nothing about additional autographs or an autograph session. They band did some of those in 2008-2009 and got abused by professional dealers slapping down piles of album covers , video taping it and posting it on their selling sites. After seeing that these dealers trying to get $700.00 for a signed album cover it offends the band and asks the question of who are really buying these packages?

It does not matter if one pays $5 or $5,000 for a VIP Package, the band is not a vendor to supply the dealer market. I'm a fan and was disapointed last year that I could not get a couple additional autographs, but that's life. The guidelines never said anything about additional items. Yes, a bummer. Last years package contained a signed Tribute CD. I knew what I was getting when I bought the package, Anything additional would have been as they say icing on the cake.

For now, the current $250 is a steal. You get a great ticket if the show has reserved seating, a signed lithograph and a photo taken with the band. Where else would a fan get a complete set of ZZ autographs without having to wait around a hotel or stage door for god who knows how long? The set of signatures alone is worth it the price of not having to wait around and that's if you are allowed to wait around in a working only area.

Even if you met them at a hotel, do you think you are going to get a photo taken with the entire group at once ? You will never see all 3 guys at once off-stage to pose for a photo. If you see one member in a hotel lobby, do you think he will wait till the other guys come down so you can get a group photo taken? If you are a major fan and have never met them before its well worth it for the group photo.

Yes, the M&G was a let down to some. But, what can you say to anyone of them that they have not heard before. If anything should change in the new package, they should state before you buy the package that "additional autographs will not be allowed"

One way I look at it is: You are getting a premium seat that would cost at least $100.00. So, for an additional $150 you are getting a set of autographs and a personal photo taken with the band..

13. RE: In fairness to the band on the VIP package.

March 30, 2012

I'm in total agreement with you. Yes, I would like to get a couple of things signed for my sons at the meet and greet in Nashville when I see them in June. I would never sell ANYTHING that these guys signed for me. They are truly treasures to be passed down. I still have a signed photo of Waylon Jennings from 1969 that my father gave me. I treasure that photo.

ZZ Top's music has been a vital part of my 47 years on this earth. They have relieved a lot of stress when days are bad. I am in sales and travel frequently and am away from my wife and twin boys. They will never know how much I appreciate them helping get through days on the road.

I do not begrudge anyone from making an honest living. Autograph dealers included. I just wish that there was a way to keep things more manageable and good for the band.

Twinrebzz

14. RE: In fairness to the band on the VIP package.

March 30, 2012

As long as they would just state their signing policy in the package description there would be no misunderstandings and angry VIP people.

15. RE: Corpus Christi Platinum VIP 10/21/2011

April 9, 2012

OK, I just want to offer my two cents on this subject, and hopefully offer a little insight. My life basically revolves around rock and roll music, and concerts. I've purchased numerous close seats from brokers for various shows, as well as official VIP packages, for various artists. I've purchased expensive meet and greet packages, and I've met some outside the venues for free.

We all long for our favorite artists to be friendly to us when we get the chance to meet them, to take the time to acknowledge us and make us feel like part of the "family." There are a few that actually will do this.... but these are few and far between. Most fall somewhere on the meter between "complete a-hole" and "somewhat accomodating if you're lucky." In some ways, it's impossible for the stars to do "meet and greet" to everyone's satisfaction; it can be overwhelming for them.

At the end of the day, the artists are not our friends. It's a business. For some, management may get them into meet and greet situations, which they themselves might not be all that comfortable with, for business/money reasons. Some artists are just not as naturally warm and friendly as others are, and they may feel awkward pretending the stranger is a long-awaited friend.

Still, when you are a rock star, you should acknowledge that without the fans buying your product, you are nothing and have nothing. Your fans spend their hard-earned money on YOU. Why not create a "win-win" situation in which people will want to spend more money on you, rather than send people away disappointed?

In defense of ZZ, the VIP package on this tour is $ 250.00 a ticket. Other artists are currently offering meet and greets for prices like $ 1000, $ 1250, and $ 1400. So, the $250 is a very reasonable price considering you are getting a ticket in the first five rows (a broker would charge you much more for just the ticket), a laminate, an autographed lithograph, and a photo with one of the greatest classic rock bands of all time.

I guess I can sympathize somewhat about forbidding the handshakes... MAYBE. But I hope that if the guys in ZZ read this, they will consider at least saying "Hello how are you" and signing ONE item as part of the VIP package. You can always say that certain items are forbidden, like guitars (KISS has done this with their VIP package).

I recently puchased two meet and greet tickets for ZZ's upcoming summer show in Detroit. I consider it an honor to have a picture with this band that I love. I know I'll get my money's worth just from the high quality of the music and the concert, let alone the close seats and the photo opportunity.

Still, I'll feel a little disappointed if I say HI and they don't respond or acknowledge me. Hopefully this won't happen.

16. RE: In fairness to the band on the VIP package.

April 26, 2012

This is interesting information. Thanks for the explanation of why they signed NOTHING in Melbourne in 2010 when I did my Meet and Greet with the band. Sure, I was disappointed in not getting autographs, but, on the other hand, I was very happy to get a bunch of swag left over (presumably) from the 2009 40th anniversary tour when Tyler fell off the stage in Sturgis and ended some dates for ZZ on Top of it as well.

My only beef about the deal THEN was that the package was purchased without any clear indication that NO autographs would be signed AT ALL (2010 Melbourne, Fl.) and we were only informed of this fact AFTER the M&G ticket was purchased. Anyway, I wasn't unhappy and they were all nice and smiley! Although, in my photo with the band, I think Billy is looking down at Gizmo the dog and raising hell with him for sniffing at my bag while my particular pic with ZZ Top was being snapped. Regardless, it's kinda hard to see anyway what with his not-so-cheap sunglasses that he is awearin'.

Hey, $250 for a front row seat, a photo with the band AND an autographed litho? (plus the lanyard and plastic pass(?) I'm in!

See Ya'll in FLA!

17. diamond vip package

May 15, 2012

anyone know anything about this years vip packages i mean if it get a meet n greet and a photo that would be great but most of all i just have a poster thats really old and cool that id like billy to sign well the whole band but ill take what i can but thats what the package says im alittle bumed cause ive read about others vip experiances and there bumming me out cause people said it wasnt that cool but i love zz top since i was a kid and even to have this close a chance meet and get just this poster signed id be stoked im grateful for that

18. Re: diamond vip package

May 21, 2012

I've been trying to find out the same thing. I've got my original hat from the 1980 tour as well as the first vinyl.

19. Re: diamond vip package

May 22, 2012

I am not sure what to expect from upcoming VIP experience at AC show. Hoping for the best... they seem like good people... so it will be nice of them to come out for a little while and feel the lovin? I never paid this much for any show before... but I wanted to see the band bad for years... C'mon Rev Willie we'll be cool... Thanks in advance!

AC show VIP follow-up:
    Enjoyed the show immensively! VIP = good seats mostly and if you really love the band you are happy. The meet and greet is acontrolled type of thing, which you would kind of expect to prevent the weird stuff which could happen. The band pleasantly joined everyone for a photo, who lined up beforehand. I wished they would sign a large guitar pick I brought with me with a Sharpie I brought, but I did not ask. They told us they would not sign personal items. They gave us their signed Lithograph. Not very attactive in my opinion. Some guys brought some guitars for them to sign. I do not know what happened, but I would guess they were turned down.

Above all the band was razor sharp, and well Rev Willie can make that plank sing, and Dusty and Frank are sublime as well.

20. Where are Diamond Package Pickup Details?

May 24, 2012

OK, two days out from the Atlantic City show (and for the NH fans the tour begins up north tomorrow) and there are no details at all about the Diamond Package. All I have is my order confirmation stating "check back on the website before the event date for more detailed information regarding what time you need to arrive." I'd say this would be a good time to share that info!